Purchasing a washing machine for your laundromat seems like a simple transaction. However, the more you learn about commercial washing machines, the more complicated that purchase can become. How can you know what features your washing machine needs to get the job done right? For help, check out this guide to choosing the right capacity for commercial washers.
How Can You Make Sure You’re Purchasing the Washers Your Laundromat Needs?
There are plenty of things for a laundromat owner to consider when purchasing equipment, and understanding the technical benefits of those choices is essential. For example, purchasing energy-efficient laundry equipment might seem expensive, but laundromat owners who do their research quickly realize that it’s an investment that will pay for itself in time. Washer capacity is another factor that might not seem worthy of a significant investment, but it can have a tangible impact on customer satisfaction and overall profits. Choosing the right capacity for commercial washers can be complicated, but we’re here to help.
What Is a Commercial Washer’s Capacity?
Have you ever been surprised by a few pieces of still-dirty clothes when you pull fresh laundry out of a laundromat’s washing machine? This typically happens when you overestimate a commercial washer’s load capacity. A washer’s capacity simply refers to the amount of clothes it can efficiently wash in a single load. There are lots of different kinds of commercial washing machines, but looking at some industry-standard sizes can give us a general idea of how washer capacity works:
- A small commercial washing machine usually has a capacity of around 15 to 20 pounds of laundry. These machines resemble domestic washers but are built to handle more laundry than home models. They are suited for day-to-day laundry needs like clothing and small linens.
- A medium-sized washer is a commercial washer built to handle larger loads and more laundry regularly. These machines allow customers to wash larger and bulkier items or to do a significant amount of laundry at once. These machines can handle loads of 40 pounds or even more.
- An industrial washer is a washer that is built to do significant quantities of laundry in a short amount of time. They take up more space than their counterparts, but they can also do hundreds of pounds of laundry in a single load. They’re useful for high-volume commercial laundry jobs like hotel linens.
How Do I Know What Washer Capacities I Need for My Laundromat?
Having a rough idea of the basics can help you in choosing the right capacity for commercial washers, but you also need to be aware of your business needs. There are three other questions you’ll need to consider before making your purchase:
- How many customers do you expect to have a day, and how much laundry do you expect them to do?
- How quickly can said laundry get done, and how much washer capacity will your laundromat need to accomplish the task?
- How many operating days do you have in a week, and will that be enough time to do the required laundry with the equipment you plan to purchase?
Choosing the right capacity for commercial washers relies on your ability to identify your business needs and find the washer that meets them. For example, a laundromat that mainly serves people bringing small loads of laundry from home may find a few medium washers adequate. A laundromat serving higher volume clients, like hospitals or hotels, will probably need the capacity an industrial washer provides. Many laundromats rely on washers of various sizes, including at least one machine large enough for big comforters and blankets.
Figuring out the laundry business can be complicated, but you don’t have to do it alone. If you need help determining your equipment needs, contact the experts at Laundry Solutions Company. We’re here for you.
To find the right solution for your facility, check out Laundry Solutions Company, a full-service provider of premium vended, on-premises, and multi-housing commercial laundry equipment. Since 1976, we have provided exceptional sales support, laundry design services, commercial laundry equipment (and leasing options), and laundry equipment service and parts. To learn more about our products and services, please call us at 800-383-9274 or online. We look forward to hearing from you!