Starting a laundromat is a big business undertaking. There’s a great opportunity to make a profit, but there’s also a lot of competition. What kinds of things can you do to make your laundromat the best laundromat in town?
How to Become the Best Laundromat in Town
Did you know that there are over 35,000 laundromats nationwide? A little friendly competition never hurt anyone, but you still want to come out on top. If you want to have the best laundromat in town, focus on giving your customers the best experience possible.
Buy the Right Equipment
Being able to get laundry done quickly and reliably is the cornerstone of the laundromat customer experience. Here’s how to make sure that happens in your laundromat:
- Invest in quality equipment. Speed Queen washers and dryers are the industry standard for durability and reliability.
- Prioritize maintenance. Every time a washer or dryer stops working in your laundromat, it costs you money in two ways: The machine can’t generate income, and a frustrated customer that can’t get their laundry done might not come back. Be sure to check machines for maintenance needs once a month, and regularly budget money to replace and repair equipment.
- Consider upgrading to some energy-saving appliances. Eco-conscious customers will appreciate being able to get their laundry done and still be kind to the environment. Energy-saving appliances are also easier on your utility bills. It’s a win-win.
Provide the Right Experience
You can have the best, most up-to-date equipment in the world, but it won’t attract customers if they don’t have a good experience when they visit your laundromat. These days customers are looking for convenience alongside great service, so here’s how to provide it:
- Provide USB charging stations. Customers will appreciate the convenience and knowing they can charge their phones while they do their laundry will keep them coming back.
- Have a kid’s play area. Have you ever watched a parent try to corral their kids while they’re doing a week’s worth of laundry? If you have, you can see why those parents appreciate things that keep their kids occupied. Have a small area for kids with games, toys, and books.
- Explore electronic payment systems. In this modern world, it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to carry cash into your laundromat. Offering electronic payments systems that accept debit cards, or even phone-based payments like Apple Pay, is a huge bonus for customers. These systems even provide loyalty programs where you can reward your most loyal customers.
- Keep it clean. Nobody wants to wash their clothes in a dirty laundromat, so make sure your laundromat is cleaned and sanitized regularly. Have a checklist for staff to follow at opening and closing, and make sure high-traffic areas like bathrooms are checked and cleaned multiple times a day.
Run It Like a Business
A laundromat can be a great source of income, but it isn’t passive income by any means. The best laundromat will have a savvy business mind behind the scenes, making sure everything is running smoothly:
- Hire people with laundromat experience, and pay and train them well. Turnover is a significant problem in the laundromat industry, and managers that retain workers report doing so by making it worth their while to stay.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise. Don’t assume a sign and a good location will bring in all the business you need. Build a web presence for your laundromat, and investigate Google Ads and other modern advertising options.
- Stay on top of the books and bills, and continually reinvest in your business. Regularly budget money for repairs and improvements to the site. Be sure to keep an eye on energy expenditures and other costs that can fluctuate, too. Consider using laundry business management software if you need extra assistance.
These are only a few of the things you can do to become the best laundromat in town. Take a look at our article archive for more tips and advice. If you have more questions, give us a call!
Check out Laundry Solutions Company‘s products and services. We’re a full-service provider of premium vended, on-premises, and multi-housing commercial laundry equipment. Our leasing program provides no mileage fees, no service fees, and no parts fees. You will be able to use high-quality Speed Queen equipment while enjoying a flexible lease and predictable payments. To learn more, please give us a call at 800-383-9274 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!